I’ve never been into politics or the news, but this year’s presidential election has gotten more attention than I’ve ever seen in all of my years following social media and TV, especially after Super Tuesday. I understand and respect that each and every one of you has different views, but I hope those of you that are in the US think long and hard about the future of our country. If I lose you as a follower or a reader because of this post, I am truly sorry because I don’t mean to offend any of you, but I really needed to say my opinion about this matter because America’s future is resting on the results of this election.
I read about the presidential campaigns on The Skimm and also see it on Facebook and when I’m channel surfing on TV, and it’s baffling to me how someone I grew up recognizing as “the guy who was on The Apprentice” reality TV show suddenly decides he wants to run for President. At first, I thought he was doing this for publicity and for attention (honestly, I still think he is… and it’s truly terrifying). But hearing and seeing videos of him unabashedly speak about his racist and sexist beliefs and really absorbing the fact that he is broadcasting his radical opinions to our entire nation is horrifying. The New York Times published this article that raises some interesting points that some people may not have thought about. Additionally, this Huffington Post article brings up a truly valid quote:
“He is bringing to attention a silent population that America is all to eager to ignore. America, wake up. There is a very active population made up of racist individuals and hate groups who are both fearful and furious towards anything regarding diversity, immigration and the changing demographics of the country. Trump’s stance on political issues and his use of language are curated to these specific people.”
Again, I am not someone who follows politics, but being a relatively young American who will have to experience the next President’s reign once in office, my eyes are now wide open. I am not telling you to be a Democrat or change your party, but I am asking you to be aware of your presidential candidates and the things that they stand for. I found this really useful comparison tool that you can use to educate yourself on the different issues each candidate is either for or against.
For my fellow New Yorkers who are just tuning in and would like to register this year, you can do it in less than 10 minutes by following these steps:
- Go to http://dmv.ny.gov/mydmv/mydmv
- Click on “Sign up for MyDMV” and create an account
- Go to your email to verify your account and create your new password
- When you reach your homepage after logging in, go down to Other Services and click “Register to Vote” and follow the simple directions to get yourself registered!
If you need more convincing of how Trump should not be our future leader, here’s more resources:
- The Main Reason Trump Shouldn’t Be President Is Painfully Obvious
- 7 Reasons Why Donald Trump Shouldn’t Be The Republican Nominee For President
- Why Donald Trump for President Is a Joke
- Why Trump Shouldn’t Be Taken Seriously
- Donald Trump’s rise is a scary moment in America
- Donald Trump’s Immigration Plan Is A Loser
- Mitt Romney warns the GOP about nominating Trump
For anyone living in the US, PLEASE register to vote and make a difference! You have a voice, use it!