Being away from home is hard, especially since I always loved my mom’s cooking. One dish that I’m particularly fond of is her special signature salt and pepper diced potatoes *yum*! When she would prepare it at home, I watched intently since I wanted to learn her methods and eventually be able to make it myself… and I did!
- russet potatoes (I believe you can use any potato, but this is the one I found at the farmers’ market at a steal)
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
- cooking oil
This was pretty easy to make, it just takes a little bit of time to cook!
- Scrub down the potatoes’ skins really well since you’ll be keeping them on (trust me, it helps hold the potato together when you cook it!)
- Dice them into small cubes.
- Rinse them under some water, throw them into a bowl, and microwave them for 3 minutes (yes, I did say microwave it because it’ll help cook them through a little before you move onto the next step :))
- Turn the stove on at medium heat and add some oil to the pan.
- Put the potatoes into the pan and sprinkle your seasonings–I used salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to keep it simple.
- Cover the pan about half-way so the potatoes can continue to cook.
- After a couple of minutes, check your potatoes to see if it has a little bit of a crispy side; if it does, it’s time to flip them onto another side!
- Repeat this process for as long as you want, depending on your preference of how much crispiness you want. I believe I had them cook for at least 10 minutes on the stove while flipping them every few minutes since I really enjoy the crunchy crispy bite 🙂
This recipe is deceptively simple, but OH SO DELICIOUS. This can go great as breakfast “diced home fries/hash browns” or as a side for lunch or dinner. Please go ahead and try this out and see if it’s as amazing for you as it is for me 🙂 Thanks for reading!
ALL PHOTOS ARE ©magnetically aesthetic. Please do not steal, edit, or use these pictures in any way without my permission. Thank you!